- 1 lb beef top round steak, cut 1 inch thick
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup light soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced thin
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 can chopped tomato, drained or 2 medium tomatoes blanched,peeled and cut into wedges
- Slice the beef into 3 inch strips 1/4 inch wide. Heat 1 T. oil in skillet on medium high and add onion and garlic, stirring until onion is tender, around four or five minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon. Add remaining oil and saute the beef until browned.
- Remove with a slotted spoon. Add the broth, soy sauce, sugar and ground pepper to the skillet, stir well.Return beef, onion and garlic to skillet and simmer for half-hour. Add celery, bell pepper and tomatoes. Cover and cook until celery and peppers are crisp/tender-around five minutes. Dissolve the cornstarch in cold water.
- Stir into the skillet stirring constantly until thickened around two minutes.