Killer Potato Soup04:31
- 1 lb bacon, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced fine
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 6 -8 potatoes, peeled and cubed ( I usually use red or yukon gold)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Place bacon in a large soup pot or dutch oven and cook until crisp. Drain off all but 1/4 cup of grease.
- Add celery, onion and garlic to bacon grease and cook until just softened. Be careful not to burn garlic. Add potatoes and toss in grease to coat.
- Add chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then simmer until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Place butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. When melted, whisk in flour. Brown mixture, stirring constantly, for approximately 2 minutes. Add heavy cream slowly, while whisking constantly. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and continue whisking until mixture thickens.
- Stir cream mixture into the potato mixture. Gently stir in cheddar cheese and reserved bacon. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with green onion and additional cheese, if desired.