Creamy Shrimp and Mushroom Pasta07:14
Creamy Shrimp and Mushroom Pasta
serves 4, prep 5 min, cook time 30 min
- 4-8 oz fettuccine or linguine
- 8 oz fresh, sliced mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 10 tbsp butter, divided (I know, but Ive tried it with less and its just not the same)
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 oz cream cheese, cut into small pieces
- 2/3 cup boiling water (from your noodle pot)
- 1 lb cooked shrimp (feel free to buy frozen-gasp!)
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped (you can use dried herbs if thats all you have)
- Boil and salt a large pot of water and cook your pasta. I usually only use about half of an 8 oz box, preferring fewer noodles.
- While your pasta is cooking, cook your shrimp if necessary and reserve. If your shrimp are pre-cooked and frozen, quickly thaw them under running water.
- In a large skillet melt 2 tbsp of butter over medium heat and saute mushrooms until soft and brown. Season with salt and pepper.
- Reserve cooked mushrooms and melt remaining butter in the skillet. Add minced garlic, cream cheese, and herbs. At this point, I generally feel like something has gone terribly wrong.
- The cream cheese doesnt really melt and starts to look almost curdled, dont worry about it! It will all smooth out and be wonderful when we add the water. I promise.
- Simmer cream cheese mixture until well blended. Get a scoop of boiling pasta water from your noodle pot and mix it in, stirring quickly to smooth out the sauce.
- Keep sauce hot and add shrimp and mushrooms, mix well and simmer (stirring often) until everything is hot and thickened, about ten minutes-you wont ruin this sauce by accidentally boiling it so dont worry.
- Toss sauce with cooked noodles and serve.