Red Velvet Pound Cake05:37
- 1 C. butter or margarine
- 5 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 C. shortening
- 3 C. sugar
- 1- 1 oz. bottle (2 T.) red food coloring
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 C. cocoa
- 3 C. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 C. buttermilk
- Cream Cheese Frosting (below)
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1- 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
- 1- 1 lb. box confectioner's sugar
- 1 stick butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Cream butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Mix in vanilla and food coloring. Sift together flour, soda, salt and cocoa.
- Add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Pour into greased and floured 10-inch tube pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until cake tests done.
- Cool in pan ten minutes. Invert onto serving plate. Spread with frosting, sprinkle with nuts if desired.