Smothered Pork Chops05:23
- 1 cup flour
- 2 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp red pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbsp bacon fat
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 thin pork chops
- 2 cups buttermilk
- Chopped fresh parsley or green onions, for garnish, optional
- Mix together flour, onion powder, garlic powder, red pepper, salt, and black pepper in a pie plate. Coat pork chops in flour mixture; shaking off the excess.
- Over medium heat in cast iron skillet, melt bacon fat and oil together well. Gently lay pork chops in skillet; fry about five minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Remove pork chops from skillet.
- Mix ½ cup flour mixture and buttermilk together well; pour into skillet, stir into hot fat; bring gravy to boil then reduce heat to simmer until nice and thick, stirring often. Return pork chops to skillet; cover with gravy. Simmer for five minutes or so until pork chops are cooked through. Season with salt and pepper; garnish with chopped parsley or green onions if using, before serving.
- Variation: May sauté onions and or mushrooms with pork chops and add to gravy mixture.