FRIED APPLE or PEACH PIES05:13
- 8 ounces dried apples or dried peaches
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 can jumbo refrigerated flaky biscuits
- 1 tsp. cinnamon or apple pie spice
- vegetable oil, for frying
- Combine apples and water in saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for half-hour or until tender. Remove from heat and let cool, mashing slightly if pieces are large. Stir in sugar and butter; set mixture aside.
- If using fresh apples: For the filling: Add 2 TBS butter to a large saute pan and melt. Add 4 peeled, cored and chopped apples, sugar, cinnamon, and 1 tsp lemon juice and cook over medium heat until the apples are soft, about quarter-hour. Remove from the heat, mash slightly and cool.)
- Roll each biscuit into a 5-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Place about 1 tablespoon apple mixture on half of each biscuit circle. To seal pies, dip fingers in water and moisten edges of circles. Fold in half, making sure edges are even. Using a fork dipped in flour, press edges firmly together to seal.
- Pour oil to a depth of 1/2 inch into a heavy skillet, or use deep fryer.
- Fry pies in hot oil (370°) over medium-high heat until golden, turning once. Don’t rush it because you want to make sure the biscuit is cooked completely through.
- Drain well on paper towels.
- Makes 10 pies.