- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 cups frozen cut okra
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red cayenne pepper
- 1 can (14.5 ounce size) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (12 ounce size) frozen shelled deveined cooked medium shrimp, rinsed
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/2 cup uncooked regular long-grain white rice
- In small saucepan, combine flour and oil; mix well. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium-high heat for five minutes. This is your Roux.
- Reduce heat to medium; cook, stirring constantly, about ten minutes or until mixture turns reddish brown. Place flour-oil mixture in 3 1/2 to 4 quart Crockpot.
- Stir in all remaining ingredients except shrimp, rice and water.
- Cover; cook on low setting for seven TO nine hours. When ready to serve, cook rice in water as directed on package.
- Meanwhile, add shrimp to gumbo mixture in Crockpot; mix well. Cover; cook on low setting for additional twenty minutes. Serve gumbo over rice.