General Tso's Chicken05:26
- 4 Chicken legs with thighs
- 1/2 c Distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 c Soy sauce
- 1 cl Garlic; minced
- 1 ts Cornstarch
- 1 ts Ginger root; Peeled & minced
- 1/3 c Corn oil
- 1 lg Egg; beaten lightly
- 4 Dried hot chilis; seeded
- Bone the chicken legs, including the thighs by scraping the meat from the bone, working downward and keeping close to the bone. Pull the meat down over the bone (pulling it inside out like a glove) and cut it free from the bone. Discard the skin and cut the meat from each leg into 6 pieces.
- In a bowl combine the soy sauce, vinegar, 1/2 c water, the garlic and ginger root.
- In another bowl, combine the egg and cornstarch and dip the chicken pieces. Heat the oil in a wok or deep, heavy skillet until very hot, add the chicken and fry it for four to six minutes, or until it is crisp. Transfer the chicken with tongs to paper towels to drain and pour off all but 1 T of the oil from the wok. Add the soy sauce mixture, the chili peppers and the chicken and cook the mixture over moderately high heat for two mins, or until heated through.
- Transfer it to a heated serving dish. Serves 4.