Perfect chocolate loaf cake04:33
- 175g butter, room temperature
- 175g golden caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 200g self raising flour
- 110ml full fat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 200g chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Grease and line a 900g loaf tin with baking parchment.
- In a large bowl, combine the butter and sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift in the flour then add the baking powder, milk, cocoa powder and vanilla extract. Beat until well blended and light.
- Toss the chocolate chips in a little flour to prevent against them sinking to the bottom of the loaf. Then fold them roughly into the cake, hardly mixing at all. Pour into the prepared loaf tin and smooth the top.
- Bake in the oven for 80 to 90 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove from the oven and lift the cake out of the tin using the baking parchment then pop the cake (still on the baking parchment) onto a cooling rack and allow to cool fully before enjoying.